Connect with us


90% Covid Patients In Mumbai In Past 2 Months From High-Rises: Civic Body

COVID-19: Mumbai’s 90% patients in last 2 months were from high-rises (file photo)


As many as 90 per cent of patients in Mumbai, who tested positive for COVID-19 in January and February this year, were residents of high-rises, while the remaining 10 per cent were from slums and chawls, the city civic body has said. However, the situation has changed to some extent this month. The number of cases from slums are also going up, civic officials said. 

Of the total number of 23,002 people, who tested positive in the first two months of the year, 90 per cent were residents of apartment buildings and 10 per cent from slums and chawls, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) said “But we are now receiving a large number of patients from slums as well. Most of them are from middle and lower class background,” a senior doctor of a civic hospital, who did not wish to be named, said.

The number of coronavirus containment zones and sealed buildings in the city increased by 170 per cent and 66.42 per cent, from the beginning of this month, the civic body said. According to the BMC’s COVID-19 dashboard, while the city had 10 containment zones and 137 sealed buildings on March 1, the number of containment zones increased to 27 and sealed buildings to 228 on March 10.

The dashboard pointed out that of the 7.46 lakh people living in these zones, over 23 per cent were from slums and chawls, while the remaining 77 per cent were from sealed buildings. An assistant municipal commissioner said, the number of infections from slums has certainly gone up, but it cannot be called a spike.

Also the patients are scattered across slums and not concentrated in any particular pocket. Mumbai’s coronavirus caseload till Thursday night was 3,38,631, while the number of deaths was 11,515.

Source link